Saturday, January 22, 2011

Practical Life

{Snack Preparation}
{Bean Transfer with One Hand}
{Stone Transfer with Fingers}
{Stone Sorting and Finger Transfer} 
{Glass Marble Transfer with Fingers ~ Refining} 
{Transferring with a Spoon}
{Cloth Folding ~ Four Variations}
{Dry Pouring Using Pitchers with Handles}
{Dry Pouring ~ Containers without Handles}
{Liquid Pouring ~ Pitchers with Handles}
{Socket Wrench}
{Clothespins}
{Rolling Mats}
{First Shelf of Practical Life}
{Second Shelf of Practical Life}
{In addition to the shelves, this photo shows Dishwashing, Sponge Squeezing,
the Food Preparation Table, and  Hand washing}


Breathe in...breathe out...The beginning of the school year is too exciting for words!  A new community of children and families at a new school!

I had every intention to return to this blog since the inception of this school year but I have been one busy person...acclimating myself to this new school and constantly following and preparing the environment for the beautiful population that I serve.  

"The child should love everything that he learns for his mental and emotional growths are linked.  Whatever is presented to him must be made beautiful and clear, striking his imagination." ~ Maria Montessori To Educate the Human Potential.

I only had two weeks to prepare this new environment...a private Montessori setting...and those days consisted of moving some of my materials into the small storage space, organizing, and taking in all of the existing materials, and of course, preparing the children's environment.  

I chose to post the Practical Life area and lessons first because it is the key to unlocking all of the other curriculum areas.  It is this area that children begin to develop  concentration, coordination, order, and independence.

As the weeks progress, more works are added to the area.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I just found your blog, and I'm pretty impressed! I love the classroom environment you've created, and way you've presented practical life skills to the children. BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are wonderful and I wish you lived closer! I just found your blog via pinterest, and no where (until now) have I found a more informative (meaning great examples of) on how to set up a montessori environment. I have read and have tried to do this at home for my boys and you have helped me immensely on just the basics for my 2 1/2 year old. Thank you so much for your amazing blog.

    ReplyDelete